Terms Of References
For National Council on Vision 2020
The National Council on Vision 2020 (NCV2020) is the apex of the operational & institutional arrangement for Nigeria’s V2020. The President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria is the Chairman. It is to provide leadership and direction to galvanize the nation. The process is a bottom up strategic planning process which will
ensure ownership by all stakeholders.
The Terms of Reference for the NCV2020 are as follows:
- To provide leadership and direction to galvanize the NV2020 process;
- To approve the core national priorities to guide the bottom-up visioning process;
- To ensure the quality of the V2020 plan document, appropriateness of targets and practicality of strategies;
- To review progress of work and give further direction to ensure the attainment of the vision;
- To ensure that all stakeholders are actively involved in the visioning process;
- To approve a framework for mobilizing resources from private sector and other stakeholders for the development of Nigeria’s Vision 2020 plan;
- To approve a comprehensive planning framework that will enable the annual budgets and medium term harmonized development plans to be in accordance with the aspiration of NV2020; and
- To issue any other directives that the Council may consider desirable to bring about the accomplishment of its tasks.
For National Steering Committee on Vision 2020
The National Steering Committee (NSC) on Vision 2020 is the engine room of the visioning process. It is headed by the Honourable Minister/Deputy Chairman of National Planning Commission as the Chairman. The Secretariat of the NSC is also domiciled at the National Planning Commission.
The Terms of Reference of the NSC are as follows:
- To develop methodology and guidelines for all MDAs, private sector and other stakeholders to facilitate a systematic bottom-up development of vision 2020;
- To propose a comprehensive plan for the country that will enable it to achieve the goal of becoming one of the top 20 economies by 2020;
- To propose appropriate goals, targets and strategies for achieving the socio-economic objectives;
- To identify and recommended overall national goals and priorities for the approval of the National Council;
- To guide and assist all States of the Federation and MDAs to develop their own components of V2020 in accordance with the guidelines and national priorities approved by the NV2020;
- To arrange nation-wide dissemination of programmes to pave way for widest buy-in by all stakeholders;
- To develop a template for the preparation of a result oriented communication strategy that will mobilize stakeholders to action and also to monitor annual progress at the national, including MDAs and state levels;
- To undertake comparative studies of best practices in the area of long term planning and visioning process;
- To examine the linkages between the various perspective plans, medium term plan and annual budge
- To recommend a comprehensive and inclusive monitoring and evaluation (M&E) mechanism for monitoring progress, taking corrective actions and promoting feedbacks;
- To commission in-depth research for studies on national priority sectors with a view to providing evidence based development strategy.
- To undertake any other assignments that might be directed by the National Council on Vision 2020
- To make any other recommendations that the committee may deem necessary.
For the NV2020 Stakeholder Development Committees
The Vision 2020 is a bottom up strategic plan. Thus, the relevant stakeholder groups will prepare their V2020 documents based on the guidelines approved by the National Council on V2020 in line with the national goals and priorities.
Apart from the State NV2020 Stakeholder Committees, the MDAs and other stakeholder visioning development committees will consist of 20-25 groups of about 25 eminent persons with interest and knowledgeable on the subject area. The V2020 development committees shall serve as fora where consensus will be built on issues. The Committees shall also be responsible for preparing sectoral inputs for the V2020 Plan.
In particular, the major stakeholders shall include:
- State Governments;
- MDAs; and
- Key Institutions.
Each stakeholder group will set up an inclusive competent committee involving the public sector and non state representatives.
The Terms of Reference for the stakeholder V2020 development committees shall be as follows:
- To examine background papers on V2020 thematic areas received from the NTWGs;
- In-depth review of position papers on specific/related thematic areas;
- Preparing feedback reports on major issues to the National Steering Committee; and
- Generating sectoral and other related inputs for the NV2020 Plan
- Generation of inputs for the States Vision 2020 document.
- Undertake any other assignment that might be assigned by the National Steering Committee.
FOR THE THE NATIONAL TECHNICAL WORKING GROUPS [NTWGS] FOR VISION 2020
The National Technical Working Groups [NTWGs] will provide technical support to the National Steering Committee.
The NTWGs will comprise of maximum of 25 groups of experts for the identified area drawn from both public and private practitioners with responsibility expertise and passion for the area.
The report of the NTWGs will serve as input to the work of National Steering Committee [NSC] and the stakeholder visioning groups.
The Terms of Reference of the NTWGs will be as follows:
- Develop background papers on technical economic related issues for the use of the National Steering Committee and the Stakeholder Visioning Groups;
- Articulation of key issues on the state of the economy;
- Defining proposed policy targets, objectives and priorities for sectoral/thematic areas;
- Prepare the guidelines and template for the communication on progress [COP];
- To work closely with and also assist the stakeholder groups in preparing their V2020 documents and COPs
- Review and evaluate the COPs of stakeholder groups;
- To be assisted by consultants where necessary to undertake specific studies research work to provide the data necessary for the working groups report;
- To provide technical briefing on progress of work to the National Steering Committee on regular basis; and
- To undertake any other assignment that may be designated by the National Steering Committee.